Monday, May 4, 2009

Well...my intentions were to simply post some photos of a few things here and there.... golfing with the kids, garage sale, shopping for flowers with Terri and mom. However, I've just realized how completely naive I really am. In my little corner of the world I could never imagine a child not being wanted by their parents. Not saying that as a parent we sometimes do things wrong...get angry at our kids.... yell...scream...etc. But there's never been a time in my life that I have ever felt like I didn't want my kids....and I don't think that they have ever felt like they were not wanted!!!! I guess I'm just a little mixed up right now. I think I just saw a glimpse into what a child must feel like to NOT feel wanted by their parent. I've always known the facts surrounding this family and their situation but I don't think I ever really realized what it might be like for the child that lives in that house. I know her as the girl that lingers around my house.... always wondering when she might be leaving.... sometimes I think it will be never. And now... I think I'm about ready to cry. Her mother left her and I know how much she does love her dad but I'm seeing that maybe he doesn't quite understand what he has there. What will this poor little girl grow up to be....will she make it in life... and what sort of damage will be done to her mentally. It's tough enough in life when you grow up in a "normal" family....but to feel unwanted at such an early age. Now I'm not going to go into details.... I didn't see any physical abuse and not really sure that it was any mental abuse either.... but it just gave me a glimpse into what I already knew to be true but I think just choose to ignore. My heart goes out to her. It did before but it does more so now. It just goes to show that youth really is wasted on the young....too young to have children....too immature to raise them....

let me add this....as I sit here on the computer looking out my window I think I might be seeing an effort to make amends.... let's hope so! Although.....there's still damage done....not much can make up for being left at your mom's friends house and never being picked back up again. Makes me sick to my stomach that people like that can get pregnant while other wonderful people who would make wonderful parents can't have children of their own....or have to go through extremely painful and costly procedures to try and get pregnant. I'm still struggling with that one.

1 comment:

CFC Flames '04 said...

I think I know of the little girl you're speeking of don't I? Poor thing - so very, very sad.
There is a family like that in my neighborhood. A 2 year old little girl, allowed to walk anywhere and everywhere at all hours day and night. Long sleeved shirt and pants in hot weather, shorts and tank tops when it's freezing. she just walks into other people's homes....her parents have NO idea where she is or what she's doing. HOW can they just not care??? Breaks my heart, especially when she tells me she's hungry.
Why, why indeed? I know people who would LOVE to raise her and cannot have children of their own.